Saturday, May 4, 2013

Baked Oven Fries aka HEAVEN

I am a fry kind of gal. I would pretty much make a meal out of fries if I could get away with it and not weigh 700 pounds. I adore fries with burgers, meatloaf....yeah...pretty much everything goes good with fries. I am not a fry snob, I welcome all fries equally. Zesty, shoestring, steak, tater tots, sweet potato.....all fries are welcome! Every time I went grocery shopping I would at least by one or two bags of the frozen fries to save to make with an upcoming meal. Now there is nothing wrong with buying frozen fries, I think they taste great. Ignorance truly is bliss because I was perfectly happy with my freezer section fries.....UNTIL.....I found this recipe on Pinterest and my whole world was rocked. This may sound a bit dramatic....I assure you, its all true. Try the recipe and you will see. I literally do not buy fries anymore because this recipe is so good no store bought, frozen fry will stand up to it!!

Now....I will reveal the GLORY....continue reading....


First you want to peel and cut your potatoes. You want to make them...well....fry shaped! They by no means have to be pretty. Mine turn out all shapes and sizes and ya know what? They all taste amazing!



Once you get done chopping them into beautiful shapes, stick all your lovely little fries into a large mixing bowl and cover them with hot water. I have NEVER heard of doing this before but I researched and most people who make homemade fries do this. The reason for soaking them is to get as much starch as you can off of the potatoes. It prevents the fries from having a cottony, starchy texture. Who knew!? The recipe says to let the fries soak for 10-30 min. I have never made it the full 30 min. I usually let them sit 10 to 15 and this seems to work fine.



While you wait for the taters to soak grab a rimmed baking sheet and pour 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil on it. Tilt the sheet from side to side and evenly coat the pan with the oil. Sprinkle the pan evenly with salt and pepper. Set aside.



Drain your potatoes. Spread the wedges out onto layers of paper towels. Wipe out the bowl and then return the potatoes to the bowl. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.

Arrange the potato wedges on the baking sheet in a single layer. I can honestly say follow that instruction. I cut too many fries one time and layered them a little and it was not OK. No layering people!

Time to bake!!!!
Heat your oven to 475. Cover the baking sheet tightly with tin foil and bake those puppies for 5 minutes.




Remove the foil at this point and bake for 15 -20 min until the bottoms are golden brown. You want to rotate the baking sheet after 10 minutes so the fries cook evenly. Using a spatula flip each fry but make sure to keep them in a single layer. Stick them back in the oven and keep baking for 5-15 min. I rotate the pan one more time during this last baking session just to make sure.

It is a bit of a process I know however it is SO worth it!! My fries got a little dark this last time when I took this picture (I blame the wine) but normally they turn out a tantalizing golden color.



You have been imparted with the power of the fries! Go forth and make delicious fries for all!
Recipe below:



Baked Oven Fries

3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into wedges

5 tbsp. vegetable, canola or peanut oil, divided use

3/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste

1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste


Preheat the oven to 475. Place the potato wedges in a large mixing bowl. Cover with hot water; soak for 10-30 minutes. Put 4 tablespoons of the oil onto a heavy, rimmed baking sheet. Tilt the sheet side to side to evenly coat the pan with oil (a pastry brush can also help with this). Sprinkle the pan evenly with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Drain the potatoes. Spread the wedges out on a layer of paper towels or clean kitchen towels. Pat dry with additional towels. Wipe out the now empty bowl so it is dry. Return the potatoes to the bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Arrange the potato wedges on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 5 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the bottoms of the potatoes are spotty golden brown, 15-20 minutes, rotating the baking sheet after 10 minutes. Using a metal spatula and tongs, flip each potato wedge keeping them in a single layer. Continue baking until the fries are golden and crisp, 5-15 minutes. Rotate the pan as needed to ensure even browning.

When the fries are finished baking, transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain some of the grease. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment