Monday, September 12, 2011

Penne with Mushroom Cream Sauce

This recipe was SO easy!!! It took no time at all to prepare and turned out fantastic!! So yummy!


Getting all prepared in my humble kitchen :) Oh and a glass of wine always helps the cooking process! I should mention that I got a new camera so these pics are the first ones with it! I'm sure they look a lot better!



I recommend Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling. Its sweet and light and refreshing!
After having a sip of my wine and gathering my ingredients I'm ready to whip up some deliciousness! I started by getting my water boiling for my pasta.



and while the recipe calls for pancetta which is Italian Bacon and typically salt cured and seasoned with spices like nutmeg, fennel, peppercorns, dried ground hot peppers and garlic. Unfortunately I couldn't find any pancetta so I cooked up half a package of bacon!



While that was cooking I got the garlic and mushrooms all prepared.                                                             




Once the bacon and pasta were well on their way I grabbed some cooking oil and started the garlic and mushrooms cooking. They smelled amazing cooking together!!



Cook the garlic and mushrooms until the mushroom are tender and then add in your crushed tomatoes. I switched to a pot so that I wouldn't have to worry about tomato sauce getting all over my kitchen.



Bring all this to a boil and then slow it down to a good simmer. I added the bacon at this point and let it simmer for 5 minutes. I also added Cajun seasonings to give it a little bite! Once that is finished simmering its time to add the whipped cream. I was skeptical about this since whipped cream is sweet and this is well...not a sweet dish. But all fears aside!! It made my sauce super thick and creamy and gave it a little added "something".  It even looked more yummy! I also added my pasta right after that.




Now you are pretty much done! All that's left is to add your spinach! Yummy, glorious spinach!



Once you add it, the last step is waiting for the spinach to wilt but be careful, you don't want it to be mushy! I didn't have anything else with this dish and it was totally filling and amazing. This for sure got the boyfriend approval...I will be making this again!! Such a good flavor! Add a little Parmesan and you are golden!



As usual I have included the recipe....someone needs to try this...its the bees knees!!

2 2/3 cups of uncooked Penne pasta (8 oz)

3 oz pancetta (or half a package of bacon :D)

1 tablespoon olive oil or veggie oil

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

8 oz mushrooms, sliced

1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained

1/2 cup whipping cream

2 cups packed fresh baby spinach leaves

Cook and drain pasta as directed on box. Return to saucepan; keep warm. Meanwhile in 12- inch skillet or Dutch oven, cook pancetta (or bacon) over medium heat until crisp. Remove pancetta (or bacon) to paper towels to drain. In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook garlic and mushrooms in oil 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently until mushrooms are tender. Stir in tomatoes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in whipping cream; heat just until hot. Stir in pasta. Add spinach; toss until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle individual servings with pancetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment