Thursday, September 8, 2011

Porkchop Skillet Delight

Tonight I made a porkchop skillet dish. It turned out ok. It was filling and tasted good but it didnt knock my socks off or anything. It was almost like a stew the way it turns out.

The recipe calls for carrots, potatoes and small onions to be chopped up so I started on those early.



Then the porkchops that you are using have to have all the fat cut off of them. I was a little sad about doing this since the fat is usually the tastiest part! But definately a more healthy way to cook.



Now its time to brown those yummy 'chops. Cooking them over medium high heat and turning only once you leave them in the skillet for 5 minutes. I seasoned mine with some garlic salt and some cajun seasoning just because I like a little kick to my meat.



Once the pork is slightly cooked you dump in all the veggie deliciousness. I am pretty sure I need a bigger pan to cook in!!




The next step is to bring it all to boiling and then let it simmer for 30 minutes. Here is where I ran into issues because I didnt have a big enough pan. My porkchops cooked much faster than everything else. Sometimes when you are cooking you have to get creative so my solution was to turn my oven to 200 degrees and let it heat up then turning it off (my ghetto oven doesnt have a warm setting) so its nice and warm. I put my porkchops on a plate and let them warm in my oven.



While the porkchops stayed warm I turned my stove up to high and got all the veggies boiling. I let them boil for 10 min so the potatoes and onions cooked and because I had added beef broth earlier the juices were fantastic!



Once that was done boiling I served everything together. I will say that the porkchops were a little too dry so I will be trying this recipe with a bigger pan next time. All in all it was pretty tasty and VERY filling. I wouldnt say it was my favorite recipe to make but the onions gave everything a really yummy flavor.




I have included the recipe below for anyone that wants to try this one...this might be better as a crockpot recipe?



4 pork loin or rib chops, 1 inch thick

1/4 cup beef or chicken broth

4 medium potatoes, cut into fourths

4 small carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces

4 medium onions, cut into fourths

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Chopped fresh parsley, if desired

Remove fat from pork. Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook pork in skillet about 5 minutes, turning once, until brown. Add broth, potatoes, carrots and onions to skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and pork is slightly pink when cut near the bone. Sprinkle with parsley.









No comments:

Post a Comment